domingo, 23 de octubre de 2011

Blog Post #8 Face to Face Meetings 10/21, 10/22

This weekend’s classes were very informative and useful.  Attorney Roberta Rowe gave us useful and practical information regarding “basic search and seizure”.  She also discussed how bullying could be physical, verbal and psychological.  She added that it is the district’s responsibility to protect, train staff and students, and investigate complaints, and remedy bullying.   At my school our school principal Mr. Jeff Hohne takes the time and visits each one of the classroom at Mt. Whitney and gives a 10 minute presentation about bullying. I think this an effective way to handle it. An assembly would also be a good idea, but visiting the classrooms makes it more personable and students are allowed to ask questions and make comments. Attorney Rowe also spoke about “Child Abuse Reporting Requirements”.   Mrs. Rowe advised us that we are all mandated reporters and that we just need a reasonable suspicion in order to facilitate a report.
On Saturday Dr. Linda Hauser did a very dynamic presentation on how to conduct a productive meeting. All of her ideas and tools were great. I have been involved in the ELAC meetings at my school for several years and plan to apply some of what I learned in the very next ELAC meeting at my school. The next speaker was Dr.  Kevin Torosian. His presentation was very informative.  There was so much new information for me about school suspensions and the educational code.  Dr. Torosian was so knowledgeable, but his last statement is still with me. “If you are raised by wolves, what are you”? It really made me think about how some of my students struggle to do the right thing, but haven’t been given the tools by their parents to help them live the life they deserve to live.  Dr. Wise gave us a presentation on “FRISK” and what a wonderful tool it may be! I know I will be sharing it with the administration at my site.
The last speaker Dr. Walt Buster talked about the book called Motion Leadership by Michael Fullan.  Dr. Buster shared with us the six secrets of change which include: Love your employees, connect peers with purpose, capacity building prevails, learning in the work, transparency rules, and systems learn. Number one, love the employees may be the most challenging probably for most administrators.
Overall, I think this was a very productive weekend and I learned more than I imagined I would learn. Thank you for your presentations.

4 comentarios:

  1. Good Morning,
    Thanks for your post. I am glad to hear your principal is making the efforts to address bullying. My project happens to be implementing a school-wide anti bullying program. Our administrators were a huge part of it which I think tells our students they are serious about eliminating as much of that behavior as possible. Did you see Dateline last night? If not, they had a clip regarding bullying and it's very similar to what I used for my project.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I also appreciated the structure of meetings this weekend. I especially liked the suggestion to provide minutes after the meetings. I felt that this validated the important input from those who attended the meeting. I learned a great deal this weekend.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Jeanette-
    I too appreciated being able to identify the different types of bullying and that it is not just physical but emotional and psychological as well. I think that is great that MWHS does a presentation for bullying for the school I think that would be good not only for students but for staff as well.
    It was a weekend full of Great information!!
    Thanks for your post! Meg

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I also had a good time in class. At first I was worried that time would drag but class was over before I even realized. So much information to take in! And believe me, it's all stuff you will use once you are an administrator. Keep believing in yourself and your students. Your determination and caring are amazing!

    ResponderEliminar